Thursday 4 March 2010

Today's Drawing - James


My belief, for what it is worth, is that Drawing is the foundation for EVERYTHING in Art, no matter how simplified or abstract your work is. It is only by studying and regularly drawing from life, particularly LIFE DRAWING, that the skills to create with authenticity and confidence are acquired. That process of studying a form and expressing your response to it, really helps to develop your own personal visual language. I know that I need to draw much more regularly, so as much as anything, this is a reminder to myself.

I would like to post drawings by other Artists as well as my own. Perhaps get a discussion going on the importance of drawing and the many styles and techniques that can be used and which drawings from artists past and present we admire. I will start off with a drawing by Vincent Van Gogh next week.

The above drawing of James, was drawn on winsor and Newton cartridge paper with a 4b Derwent sketching pencil.

No comments:

Post a Comment